Monday 26 November 2012

Cellar Project - Ceiling removal

So the project is under way and as I'm scraping and brushing the old paint off I notice that the dry board ceiling in part of the cellar is bowing downwards. So I firmly give it a little push to see how stable it is. The answer is not at all, and my hand goes through the dry board.

Great another job on the list is now to replace the ceiling in this part of the cellar. the parts of the ceiling where it is dry board comes off easily, even though some of the nails that were used to keep it up, have rotted and the claw hammer simply ripped the flat heads off the nails, which gave my half an hour of fun with a pair of pliers.

This was the easy part!

The hard part was the ceiling that was made of ply wood. 10mm ply wood nailed on every 15cm across the beams. these were impossible to pull out even when I hung my entire body weight off the ply wood sheet. So how do i get the sheets down?


Well it was the black Friday week and i had purchased a Dremel trio, router / cutter / sander combination power tool. With the cutting tool installed and set to a depth of exactly 10mm I cut around each and every nail that held the ply wood boards in place.






This meant that I could pull the ply wood sheets down leaving only a small circle of wood around each nail. which i can now attack with a claw hammer and pry bar to remove.

No comments:

Post a Comment