Tuesday 26 February 2013

Book Review - Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

I had seen this movie was coming out in UK, after reading a few previews and reviews the general agreement was that the films was great but even better if you have read the book first. so I ordered the book, and slowly read through it.

The book is more like 6 books, covering six stories, in 6 different timelines, with slight overlaps, coincidences and causality.

I really enjoyed separate story and sometimes the over laps were quite casual and insignificant, each story had good pace and was well written, but the overlaps and the connection between the stories were just far too weak. I would have much preferred bigger twists, more meaningful connections.

The chapter regarding the "crossing" was great, very hard to read due to the style of language, but a great story and possibly the biggest twist about 2 thirds in, well that's when i spotted it anyway.

I'm still looking forward to the film, and if the film wasn't promising so much i would maybe have not enjoyed the book as much.

I may even review the film as an addition to this book review.

No comments:

Post a Comment