Monday 22 April 2013

Race - Major Series (Midlands) - 20th April 2013

The Major series is run by British Military Fitness, I don't train with BMF, but the missus does and she told me about this race. She wasn't up for it but I signed myself up for it. The race number and chips are sent out before the race, so i rocked up 30 mins before fully kitted up. A quick look around the event village and a trip to the loo, and I was starting my warm and stretches. After 10 mins of stretching the 'official' warm was due to begin, I joined in,. but I found the warm childish and didn't really get me warmed up, so i was grumpy in the corner doing my own thing whilst the majority of the rest of the runners ran through each others legs and did the hockey cokey. I must have missed the starting pistol, as i was just standing near the start line and people started running off. I joined the runners and worked my way up to the leading group.

The water jump in the pre race dawn
The running was good and an early shallow water jump livened up the pace and spread the runners out a little. The running through the fields and woodland was tough going with shallow tree hurdles, and muddy ditches to jump. This was certainly a cross country runners, run. so i was very happy to be able to keep in the leading group. In the opening few kilometres the course was mainly running with no real obstacles until a pool of dark muddy water to wade across. The water was pretty foul, so i was glad to be only at waist depth. after more running, a series of hale vaults loomed. The hale bails where up ended, large round hay bales that stood roughly chest height. the first two or three were tackled with ease, but got progressively harder and more painful to clamber over. by the final bale (10th, at a guess) I was pretty knackered but had to carry running. the next series of obstacles were around a steep sided bomb hole in the woods. steep climbs and descend with commando crawls mixed in, helped me gain a few places from the runners that peeled away from me in the open running.

Because I'm worth it
After more running through fields, I spotted the next obstacle which was a water slide on a large tarpaulin. I didn't slow my pace, in fact I may have cranked it up and leap out, feet first onto the wet slippery blue sheet. The rough grass at the end of the tarpaulin did a good job of slowing my free fall  but took a far amount of skin from the side of my left thigh too! at the bottom of the hill the course sharply turned back up the hill to climb back up a second blue tarpaulin. As I crawled like a cat up the blue tarpaulin, marshals tried to slow our progress with buckets of water. A few more hill reps help take more energy out of my legs and lungs.
More running and a few more minor obstacles,and i was faced with a larger obstacle, this time it was a deeper pond with four dunking points where I had to submerge fully under a pipe on the surface of the water. this disorientates and the extra chill saps what remaining energy I still had. The marshals gave out lots of encouragement and I push on for the last 250 meters which included a couple of kids with paint filled water pistols..

post race self portrait
I finished I was slightly disappointed I hadn't pushed harder in the last 2 kilometres  and let a few people past me, but I hadn't realized I when I was in the last 2 km. It was a decent trail run, and fairly average obstacles, with a couple of notable talking points.

In summary: A great trail run, but only a few obstacles and challenges of note. Incredible marshalling and motivating from the BMF instructors. 

Scores (out of 10)
Course: 5
Terrain: 7
Difficulty: 6
Return factor: 5

Overall: 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment